The Many Captivities of Israel
HOW MANY CAPTIVITIES HAS ISRAEL SUFFERED ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURE?
Now many of you like to send a barrage of questions via email, not having read the rules in the FAQ. I do not engage in question and answer sessions where people just fire off questions and I rattle off answers, but I am all for meaningful discussions with an even exchange of ideas, thoughts, findings, etc., since we’re all capable of receiving an abundance of light directly from the Most High. And during this exchange, if a question pops up that I have been given light on, I’ll be glad to share. That said, I received an interesting email from a longtime subscriber named Charles L., who writes:
After Moses freed us from the Egyptian slavery. There were 6 more captivities of our Israelite people. Were we in slavery when Yahawashi was giving his teachings? I am in the middle of trying to research this question.
This was pretty much my response: Greetings, Charles! First off, captivity and slavery are two different things. Let's deal primarily with captivity though, as it is folded into slavery, and not the other way around (not all captives are made slaves, but all slaves are captives, if you get my meaning). And I'm not sure where you're getting 7 total captivities from. I've heard that tossed about here and there but that is another doctrine that is popularized among the Israelite community without actual scriptural backing. And because people don't study for themselves it continues to spread unabated. Scripture lays out more than 7 total captivities, and below are the ones I can point out from reading the usual accounts:
1. You already touched on the first one Exodus 1:6-11
2. Captivity under Cushites of Mesopotamia last 8 years (Judges 3:1-8)
3. Captivity under Moabites lasted 18 years (Judges 3:12-14)
4. Captivity under Canaanites lasted 20 years (Judges 4:1-3)
5. Captivity under Midianites lasted 7 years (Judges 6:1)
6. Captivity under Philistines and Ammonites lasted 18 years (Judges 10:6-9)
7. Captivity under Philistines lasted 40 years (Judges 13:1)
8. Captivity under Assyrians ended the Northern Kingdom (2 Kings 15:29; 17:5-6; 18:9-12)
9. Captivity under the Babylonians lasted 70 years (Jeremiah 25:9-14; Jer. 39; Daniel 1:1-2; Psalm 137)
10. Captivity under Medes & Persians (Daniel 5; Dan. 6:1-3)
11. Captivity under Greeks (Daniel 2:39; Dan. 8:19-22; 1 Maccabees 1)
12. Captivity under Romans (Daniel 2:40; Dan. 7:23-25; Luke 2:1-4)
13. Captivity under Arab nations (Joel 3:1-8)
14. Captivity under America and all gentile lands of the world (Deuteronomy 28:64; Luke 21:24)
This makes 14 captivities total, not 7. That's twice the amount! And all backed by Scripture. There are probably more but these are what I've found during a quick search.